Monday, August 24, 2015

My First Furniture Reinvigouration: End Tables

I've always been very opposed to spending too much money for anything, and I feel no differently about that while I try to furnish my new apartment. That's why any offer of free or cheap furniture is something I can hardly turn down, and how I ended up with some very beat up end tables. I found these tables on a Facebook "garage sale" and picked them up at a small horse ranch (after they had been outdoors for several months.)
This is what they looked like when I got them... 

At least the sides are nice, right? The tops aren't so great. 
I've been reading DIY blogs and the like for years, so I thought this would be a piece of cake. I planned on just quickly sanding the top and then painting it white--no big deal! Or... so I thought. Apparently, reality is always a little more difficult than the imagined.
First I tried to use Old English to just shine up the top to see if that would look good. It didn't do much. 

Just a shot of the built-in coaster pullouts these tables have. 
After sanding them for about an hour, I realized I couldn't take off all that stain with just some sanding, so I left them for the day. Two days later, armed with more knowledge on the matter and some paint-and-stain stripper, I went at these end tables again. The can of stripper said to paint it on and let it sit for 15-30 minutes, then scrape it off. Naive as I apparently am, that seemed so simple and easy. I thought I'd be done with the stain stripping process in about an hour and ready to paint. However, it took FOUR coats of stripper and quite a bit of sanding after that to get to a paint-ready surface.
Ready to paint! 
It felt like it took forever to reach this point! (It was really four hours and fifteen minutes.) 
One week later (too much school and work to continue that day!), I finally got around to painting and sealing the tops of these tables. I used a Clark & Kensington Satin Enamel in White paint to prime the tops and then painted them with Valspar's Pure White (both 99c at Ace this month!). These are technically base paint samples to be tinted in store, but I needed a white, and they were perfect! I used an old acrylic brush to lay down the paint and then a tiny roller (from Roller-Lite's Tiny Touch-It-Up Kit) to even out the paint. Three coats was perfectly sufficient for these tables! After this was all dry and ready for finishing, I used a water-based polyurethane to seal the tables (Varathane Soft Touch Matte Polyurethane.)  I used that water-based poly because I have seen the results of an oil-based polyurethane on a light surface (so much yellowing!) For the polyurethane, I also did three coats, each very thin and done about 1.75 hours apart. I used a Wooster 1.5 inch tapered acrylic brush to apply the polyurethane.
At first I was not sure how I felt about the contrast...

Beginning to like it some more! 

I think this will look pretty nice in my living room, after all. 

I am thinking about switching out the metal hardware for one that complements the top more, but for now, I'm feeling pretty done with these! This might be a really easy re-do for some people, but since it was my first, it felt pretty difficult. Hopefully I will continue to do things like this and will be able to look back at this and realize how much easier I could have made it--but for now, this is what it is. I am excited to see them take their place in my new apartment once I move in (soon!)


Products Used: 



3 comments:

  1. Wow. The contrast is very striking indeed. Thank you for blogging about this in such detail and listing the products you used. I love before, during and after pictures. This is inspiring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really liking the contrast now as well :)

      Delete
  2. Aluminum slat and aluminum plate chairs has a modern and European-inspired look, with a powder-coated and aluminum frame. machinability aluminum offering the possibility to shape the chairs in all styles.http://www.gardenarteu.com Choose neutral colour palette to ensure you combine well with any existing design while adding a level of sophistication.large outdoor furniture Combining with aluminum frame, we offer breathable, easy care and weather-friendly sling mesh. PE core with PVC coat machine woven mesh, strong and elastic, provides hours of comfort during your enjoying it outdoorthe garden furniture company.

    ReplyDelete